Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Throne! - Furniture Fashionistas Series

Our monthly Furniture Fashionista Series continues today with Jean, from Backyard Bungalow.

This is a chair that I did a couple of years ago.  I call it...the Throne!
I found this at an estate sale...or maybe I should say...Mr. Wonderful found it 'cuz I walked right by the sucker!  I thought I had a good eye for spotting furniture, but if it hadn't been for Mr. W, I would have missed this reedonkulously amazing find!  It was marked $10.00, but would you believe it was half-off day?  Score!!  This picture was taken in the parking lot directly after purchase.
Interesting, right?!!  I set to work tearing it apart.
It was full of straw, old panty hose, t-shirts and all kinds of icky stuff!
 Gross, right?  And those springs!  They were all wonky and crap...I don't know what the person was thinking when they re-did this chair.  Yuck!  Never fear...I was wearing gloves and a mask during the ripping apart of this nasty chair.  I was just short of a biohazard suit.  I mean, even I have my limits.
Almost done ripping it apart.  I removed an entire garbage bag of yuck from this sucker!
Nothing of this chair was salvageable except for the frame, so I was left to try to figure out how to replace the springs and what not.   I purchased webbing from JoAnn Fabrics and set to stapling  the webbing on the back and re-gluing weak points.  I decided to replace the seat and back with thick foam.
Skipping ahead...I guess I forgot to take pictures of the shell of it...or of me painting it.  Oops!  Oh, well...Gotta remember this was BEFORE I had a blog.
I purchased a piece of 7" thick foam for the seat and 2" thick foam for the back from DIY Upholstery Supply as well as a roll of dacron polyester.  I covered the foam with spray adhesive and then wrapped it in the poly.
 Then I tried a "dry fit" before covering it in fabric.  Yay!  It fit!  I also skipped the steps where I had to cut the foam in such a way that it would fit tight in the seat, but sit over the edge of the wood.  Obviously, I was too engrossed in my frustration to take photos of the step-by-step process.
Jumping ahead...again....to the finished product!!
I adore grain-sack upholstery!  So simple, yet so elegant and durable.  And that texture...yummy!!
I liked it sooo much, I decided to keep it!!


This is how it looks in the Guest Bedroom.

So there you have it.  What about you?  Have you tackled a ridiculously gross project lately?  What was it? 



Jean
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. Jean - that's incredible - I'd have had to keep it too - what a beautiful transformation!!!
    And what the hell were pantyhose and garbage doing inside of it LMAO - that's the funniest thing!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow!! I love it!! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jean!
    I love this! I agree, the rat's nest seat was pretty gross. You have created a gorgeous chair from that ugly girl...I would have kept it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great chair! Love how it turned out! What a lot of work though......now you can enjoy it and remember all that elbow grease!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good heavens. It looks like the previous reupholsterer used it to hide their dirty laundry.

    So pretty now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks absolutely incredible! What a beautiful transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe what you did with this chair!! My eyes don't believe what they're seeing! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Jean did a fantastic job! I will upholster a whole chair someday....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beauty! Excellent work. :)

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a fabulous job on that chair! Total transformation and very trendy using grain sacks. Can't blame you for keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A throne for queenly resting! Love the distressed finish and the grain sacking fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That chair was a little scary at first! Stuffed with pantyhose? Ewww! Gross! You're a brave soul to tackle that chair. It turned out completely amazing! Love the fresh look you gave it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW. That is an amazing transformation. The after is STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love your chair transformation. What a difference from before and after. The grain sack choice if perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing transformation! I love grain sack material, too, perfect choice for this chair. I think I might have found a biohazard suit to where while taking this baby apart...that was so gross looking.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic, but I need proof you didn't stick any panty hose in that seat.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly amazing. Panty hose is a first for me! Love the grain sack fabric and I love the distressed white paint technique. You did such a good job girl! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a miracle!! You did a fabulous job on a chair most would have taken to the landfill! It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! What a transformation! Unbelievable! You are so talented! Thanks for the awesome share at the Cafe, Jean!

    ReplyDelete