Friday, July 26, 2013

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER! - Stone Cottage Adventures

Marci is here today from Stone Cottage Adventures...

We are total goobers when it comes to our dogs.  Here are four of them all snuggly on the couch.  From front to back, there's Missi Lu, Tobi, Abigail and Ivan. 
  
 photo 
96ad6d96-593f-47c3-813c-dade28efbf6b_zps31fc5912.jpg
Missi Lu is the oldest.  She sleeps in a heated basket right beside my bed. During the night, if I happen to roll over in her direction, I reach down and pet her, then go back to sleep.  Last Saturday, she had a doctor's appointment for some ongoing health issues.  (The poor thing has to be sedated before going to the vet, because, well, frankly, she's horrible.)  After two hours of tests and never mind how much money, we went back home.

 photo 1d950d8f-67c8-49c5-9d92-d474933a517e_zps1d65a15d.jpg  
That night, I rolled over and reached down to pet her.  Missi's skin felt cold and she didn't respond to my touch.  I was so sad.  I got out of bed and sat in front of her basket to pet her.  She did not respond.  I began to pray, thanking God for letting her die in her sleep, at home in her basket, with me by her side.  She has been such a good friend.  Handsome Husband wakes up.
Him:  What are you doing?
Me:  Missi is dead.
Him:  What?
Me:  She feels cold and she isn't moving.
He came over and sat next to me.  He reached out to pet her.
Him (kind of exasperated):  She's not dead!
He shook her and shouted her name.  My poor dog leapt to her feet all startled.
Me:  She's alive!
Handsome Husband stumbled back to bed grumbling something I couldn't hear.  I was too busy hugging my dog!

 photo f5e2bab6-5f81-43ba-bd04-9380540d63b6_zpse1625964.jpg

Her favorite treats were made in the morning.  This recipe is what I would consider for 'special occasions'.  You know, for those I'm-so-glad-you're-alive days.  Ahem!  The barley could be replaced with rice.

Barkin' Barley Bars

 photo 1022882b-9b6d-40d1-b372-8d263249cf37_zpscddfdf08.jpg

I usually make barley bars with leftovers, especially something left in the bottom of the crockpot.  Here's that recipe.

Barkin' Barleys with Leftovers

The kiddos around here enjoy making dog biscuits.  Our furry hoard LOVES eating them.

 photo a3a0bd74-fa7d-4c2e-b56a-341f08e5e398_zps7e456c35.jpg

Stone Cottage Dog Biscuits

If you don't have those ingredients, here is another option.

 photo 1b760428-1934-47d3-a675-a5012863f2ff_zpsf6345bac.jpg

Dog Biscuits with Oats  
 photo 
5052df52-93f2-417a-a94b-af7855feed78_zps0bf8a80a.jpg
You don't have to wait for a life and death experience to spoil your furry babies!
;-)  -Marci

26 comments:

  1. Wow! How did your guy know? I'm so glad you get to spend a little more time with Missy Lu! We do love our dogs! Yours are adorable and that Abigail is a heart stealer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Danni! I'd prefer to think it was the power of prayer! ;-) -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  2. Definitely an inspiring post! I'm so happy for you and Missi Lu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that your worst fears did not materialise. Liked the recipes too: might copy them, if I may, for my grand-dog!

    All the best. Isobel: www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can use the recipes, Isobel! Thank you for the sweet comment! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  4. So glad she's OK. I was prepared to cry.

    Hugs,

    Valerie
    Cottage Making Mommy
    www.lovingmyheartandhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie! I guess she was just worn out from her doctor's appointment. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! She is such a good friend! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  6. Wowwww
    I'm an animal lover, grew up with dogs and cats, and I definitely know the feeling of losing your pet. I'm soooooooo glad Missi Lu is still alive!!
    I have to say that I'd totally freak out if I were you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Winnie! It will be a sad day when she goes, but it hasn't happened yet. Thank goodness! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love your babies! Are they rat terriers, feists, chihuahuas??? We have had some that look like them! They are the sweetest dogs! I have a Jack Russell mix and a doxie now...the LOVE carrots as doggie treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debby! You're right! Missi is full Rat Terrier. Tobi is half Rat Terrier and half Jack Russell. Abi and Ivan are siblings from the same litter and BEST FRIENDS. They are half Rat and half chihuahua! What a mess! ;-) -Marci

      Delete
  8. I KNEW the minute I saw Abi (and then Missi Lu) that they were RT's (or at least part!!!) Have had RT's for past 16 years and will NEVER have another breed!!! Such wonderful, loving, loyal and easily trained dogs!!! In fact, I have a 5 mo old female that is just the current absolute love of my life!!!! I COMPLETELY understand your terror and sadness at finding Missi Lu in what you thought was her post life status! I had a female RT, Sadie Mae, that I had had since see first drew breath (she was one pup out of three litters that I'd bred when I was in Ohio.) Sadie was my shadow. If you saw me, you KNEW to look for Sadie Mae. Well time marches on for all of us, dogs included, and unfortunately at age 14.5 she suddenly turned sick, vet couldn't figure out what was wrong, nothing we did helped. I came home from church Sunday Feb 16, 2012, and found her to be in obvious distress. My ex and I loaded her up and off we went to the Emergency vets office. As I held her, I realized that I was hearing a death rattle in her breathing, and as we turned onto the road that would take us to the vets, I told her that I loved her, that I'd ALWAYS remember her and that it was ok for her to go if it was too hard for her to hang on. She took one more breath and was gone. As much as I HATED loosing her, I was thankful for the fact that she had gone out on her own. It was appropriate that I was the one with her when she came into this world, and I was the one holding her when she left it. Funny, I haven't cried over Sadie, since the day she passed, right now I can barely see due to the tears!!! My prayers will be with you that Missi Lu, when she crosses that rainbow bridge, will do so on her own, and that you do not have to make the gut wrenching decision for her. Thank you for sharing your photos, recipe and this ultimately, uplifting, story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Lora- Your story so touched my heart. Thank you for sharing it. 'Sending you a hug! ((Lora)) Sadie Mae was so blessed to be in your arms when she passed. I grew up with a red rat terrier named Feisty and absolutely adore the breed! Missi Lu looks a lot like Feisty. Which color do you prefer? I guess the black spots are more common? -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
    2. I've had everything from a "classic" Black head/tan & white accents, with white body and black spots, to solid black (entire body) with only a little white/tan accents, to reds/browns. My original was a classic, her "mate" was a red/brown with white and black accent marks, then we had 3 litters and had about every combination possible, except greys. A few years ago, my ex and I got another RT (true toy) as we'd lost our original by that time. She was Sweet Pea, and was mostly black, with white and tan accenting marks, but her greatest feature was the fact that she had 3 white paws and the front left was tan!!! My ex still has her. My newest baby is Arianna, and she is a "classic" with NO ACTUAL FUR SPOTS, just lots and lots of dark freckles on her skin!!! As I type this, she is curled up under my legs (against my backside) as I am reclining and she insisted on her favorite spot!!! LOL! You asked what color I prefer, and I'd have to say that as long as it's a RT and healthy (and female - I've NOT had good experience with the males {potty training/marking issues} so no more males!!!) I'm a happy camper!!!

      Delete
    3. Now that you mention it, I seem to prefer females, too. It sounds like we have a lot in common! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
    4. I forgot to say... In Missi Lu's freckles on side, they actually form a smiley face! I've tried to photograph it, but have been unsuccessful. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  9. Awww--- my doggies are my loves too. My pug sleeps right up next to me always, follows me around the house and has to always sit right next to me. I cannot begin to think about what will happen someday.....

    Thanks for sharing on A Humble Bumble's Healthy Tuesday Blog Hop!
    Kerry from Country Living On A Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Kerry! There's no time like the present to spoil our dogs! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the invitation to join your party! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad your dog is okay. We lost our 15 year old furbaby in June and we're still grieving. My husband is devastated since he rescued her at 20 days old. She was spoiled every day of her life!
    Thanks for sharing at the Creative Home & Garden Hop. Looking forward to seeing what you share this week.

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-creative-home-garden-hop-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing a friend is heartbreaking. It sounds like her life was filled with lots of treats and hugs! Thank you for the invitation. I'd love to be at your party again this week! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete
  12. Oh I'm so glad she's ok! That must have been so scary for you. Went and pinned the Stone Cottage Dog Biscuits too.. I'm going to make a batch for my sister's pooch :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the pin! You're very welcome for the recipe. My wild pack of speckled dogs love those biscuits! ;-) -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

      Delete