Wednesday, July 17, 2013

7 Items We Couldn't Live Without in Disney World - A Few Miner Adjustments

6 Things We Couldn't Live Without in Disney World

Remember how we made it to Disney and back with just 2 suitcases for 4 people for 7 days?
True story!
I got a lot of emails from people asking me about the size of our suitcases… they are medium/large, but fit in the overhead on the plane, so technically we didn't have to check them.
But our suitcases didn't just have our clothes.
There were a few other things that I couldn't live without in Florida.


{1} Ponchos
It rained almost everyday while we were there.
And I think that Disney World is the only place on the face of the earth where people go about their business in the middle of a thunderstorm… including going swimming. At home we would run for cover. We got our ponchos at the Dollar Store. They weren't as sturdy as the ponchos sold at the park, but they were $1 as opposed to $15. And they fit in my bag.

{2} Speaking of bags….
I used a smallish/medium bag with zipping pockets and an adjustable strap that I could where cross-body or shorten the strap and make it a waist pack. Hands free fun!
{Yep…I went all semi-fanny pack…and it felt so good!}

{3} Wicking clothes
It is hot in Florida.
{I know. Hi, my name is Captain Obvious.}
The days that I wore wicking shirts and socks were days that I was way more comfortable than when I wore cotton. 

{4} Stroller
My boys are 7 and 5. Too old for a stroller? Not for Disney. According to my mom’s pedometer we walked approximately 50 miles in 5 days!
The house we rented had a stroller available…what luck! The boys traded on and off, but one day we rented a stroller at the park so that they both had one.
Honestly, for the older kids the park strollers were better….they were sturdy plastic with bigger wheels that were easier to turn. And if you are hopping to another park hold onto your receipt and you can pick up another stroller at the new park on the same day for no extra charge! What a life saver!

{5} Glow sticks
It drives me bananas to pay $10 or more for glow stick products at theme parks.
I almost had a heart attack when my 5 year old bought a blinking light up Mohawk head band for $10 with his souvenir money.
But hey...it was his money.
{Has he actually worn it? No.
He says he doesn't want to look silly. Really?}
So I stocked up on glow sticks…again at the Dollar Store. It kept the kids busy while we were waiting for the Electric Lights Parade.
 
 
{6} Babysitting for the Kids And the most important thing that we couldn't live without on this trip...a parent's night out! But how do you do that when you want to go out with all the adults you are traveling with? Kid's Night Out...there are many resorts that over this. But the one we found was amazing....The Neverland Club. It is at the Polynesian Resort which is right at the main gates of Disney...walking distance actually. Plus you can get the bus to Downtown Disney from the resort. The kids can go frm 4pm-12pm. It is $11.50 per kid per hour.  {Totally worth it!}They are served dinner and the play and play and play. The kids had an amazing time. So did we!
 

What are some of your must haves for Disney World? I would love to hear, so I can add them to my list for our next trip.
PS...Before we went on this trip we also had a visit from a mouse...in our house! Most people would not think finding a mouse would be fun, but it was!

9 comments:

  1. Trina, can you believe I have never been to Disney World? I will sure keep your great tips in mind if I ever go though! Loved learning about the Frogg Toggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me tell you...it is a magical experience. If you ever get a chance...you won't regret it.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, I am loving this. I love Disney too. I second the strollers, and my kids are big too! We like to eat breakfast at the hotel in the morning, pack in a lunch (Pb&J) and only buy our dinner in the park. Going this December!!! yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only bought one meal in the park as well. We packed a lot of snacks. My boys are picky eaters, so there really is no point in spending all that money on food at the park when they won't eat much.

      Delete
  3. OOPS!

    Author's note:
    There is a typo in my top photo...this is why I shouldn't edit my photos before writing the post. Please, disregard...7 things are better than 6, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Trina, this is a great list of tips for stuff to bring to disney or any theme park when you are away from home, rain coats, frogg toggs, wicking clothing, and the wrap around bag, love them all and will consider them in the future, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great tips, Trina! Wish I knew a few of these before our trip to Orlando, especially the ponchos...I shelled out a lot of $ for 4. Next time, even if it calls for clear skies...I'm headed to the dollar store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny, because I came across a couple other blogs with tips I never knew...after the trip. Like if you don't want to carry your souvenirs around all day you can have them sent to the front of the park and they will hold them until you leave or they can be sent to your hotel if you are staying on the grounds.

      And when you see the characters from Toy Story...if you say "Andy's Coming!" they will fall to the ground like the toys did.

      Wish I had known these.

      Delete