Friday, January 4, 2013

A cleaning tip from Mrs. Hines Class

profilepic

Hello! My name is Sharon and I blog at mrshinesclass.com, a virtual classroom where we learn how to cook, clean and decorate our way to a better home. Lately, I've been on a mission to cut down on the amount of household cleaners I use, and to use all natural products when possible. So, I'm so excited to be sharing an all natural cleaner that I recently discovered with you today.


cleaning with vinegar, all natural cleaners, garbage disposal deodorizer

I don't know about you, but I have been itchin' to give my house a good cleaning after Christmas. I'm only just now taking down my Christmas decorations, so hopefully the house will be back in order before the weekend is over.

all natural garbage disposal cleaner

Now, the reason I'm just now taking down the Christmas decorations is that I was sick all through Christmas. I'm so happy to be feeling like myself again! But, while I was ill, I spent lots of time on the couch. And for some odd reason, my sense of smell was much more keen than usual. I'm not pregnant ;) Let's just say that the throw pillows needed a little freshening. So, as soon as I felt up to it, I stripped the pillows of their covers, grabbed every blanket in sight and tossed them in the wash. That incident got me thinking...it doesn't matter how clean your house is if it doesn't smell clean. The biggest "trouble spot" in my home is the kitchen. Between the trash can, cat food, and garbage disposal, I sometimes feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.


all natural cleaners, cleaning with vinegar, deodorizer

So, I couldn't wait to test the all natural garbage disposal cleaner that I found on Pinterest. I got out my ice trays, filled them with cut up lemons and vinegar and popped them back in the freezer, according the directions. But, I sort of forgot about them. So, for a few days, every time I'd open the refrigerator, this smell would overtake me. And every time I would walk past a particular spot in the kitchen, there was that smell. It was kind of like walking on certain board that creaks every time you step on it. For the Modern Family fans, "Gotta fix that step." Phil Dunphy. Sorry, I digress. Back to my story...I'd step in and out of the smelly zone, trying to figure out, "what could it be?" I didn't need another odor fiasco in the kitchen.


all natural cleaners, cleaning with vinegar, natural deodorizer

I brought it up with my husband and he reminded me, "It's the ice trays in the freezer." "Oh, I never popped the ice cubes out and placed them in a baggie!" So, I immediately did and the vinegar smell faded. For a while I when I opened the freezer or fridge, I could still smell it, though not quite as strong, . But after a few weeks, the odor was gone. I do love having the ice cubes on hand to toss into the disposal for a little freshening. I just recommend following the directions all the way through and putting the frozen vinegar in a baggie as soon as possible. So, after being "pin-tested", I give this all natural garbage disposal deodorizer an 'A.'

guestpost5 

It was such a pleasure being here today. I want to thank the ladies of Inspiration Cafe for allowing me the opportunity to guest post. For more cleaning and housekeeping tips, I hope you'll visit me at mrshinesclass.com See you in class, Mrs. Hines

20 comments:

  1. Thank you ma'am! I can't wait to give this a try! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danni, let me know how it works for you. I love it!

      Delete
  2. Sharon, you're such a cute vacuumer! This sounds like a great way to clean the disposal. Don't you love the tips to be found on Pinterest? Thanks for sharing this at the Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! A ham maybe is more like it. ;)
      I do love the tips on Pinterest and more than that I love actually putting them into action. That's how "pin-test" got started. Thanks so much for the opportunity to share today.

      Delete
  3. Love all natural cleaning solutions.thanks f or the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all natural cleaning solutions too, Laura. I try to incorporate them as much as possible....still learning.

      Delete
  4. Ok~ I just spent the last 2 hours on your blog and love, love it! I have always just cut up a lemon and threw it down my disposal maybe I should give your idea a try... I love any tips on cleaning I can get! love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Marissa! I'm so very flattered and encouraged. Thank you so much for you kind words.

      Delete
  5. What a great tip!! I think I'm going to have to do this next time my disposal gets funky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tip, Sharon! I have a bags of lemons, a few for some chicken for dinner, and now a few for my disposal! Thank you so much for sharing here on Inspiration Cafe! What a treat! Hope you are off to a wonderful 2013! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I love having those ice cubes ready to go and just toss into the disposal. It's so convenient and really works. It was such a treat to be here today. I'd love to come back anytime.

      Delete
  7. This is such a great and informative post!!! Thanks Sharon! I love the idea of being able to pop something in my garbage disposal and have it smelling fresh and clean. What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, the convenience is my favorite thing about this tip. Thank you for the kind compliment!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for being at the Cafe today Sharon. I def have to try this - some days that garbage disposal is fun-ky!!! And come back any time - seriously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great Sharon, I'm a huge fan of lemon and vinegar to clean, but I have never tried this before - I have the lemons picked and ready to go tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picked? as in you have your own lemon tree? How cool! Now, I want a lemon tree.

      Delete
  10. Sharon is such a doll a great bloggy friend and it is ;lovely to see her featured here. Happy to be your newest follower Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, you're such a sweetheart. Thank you for being such a great friend and encourager. xo

      Delete
  11. Natalie, tell me about it. I can't stand getting an unexpected whiff of that fun-ky smell. Thanks for the opportunity and I'm going to take you up on your offer to come back!

    ReplyDelete